Our Little *SECRET* Up On the Hill

~Where we'll walk every step of *forever*, together.

To His Glory.







søndag 7. oktober 2007

Rest on Sunday


This is SUNDAY.
Best day of the week, my favourite.
Today, it’s even better. It’s Sunday Morning. =)

Last Sunday I went to the Church with my father. The Pastor was talking about...(can you guess?).. right. Resting on Sundays. I just thought I’d share some thoughts on the subject =)
“And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.”
Genesis 2:2-3

Resting on Sundays. I’ve never heard it being spoken of in a Church before. Maybe I just wasn’t there when they brought it up. Maybe some people considered it less important than other things? Maybe it isn’t. I’d say it is important to rest one day a week. Actually, I’ll do more than that. I’ll claim it. It is important. Some people work on Sundays. I’m not saying they should quit their jobs. Misunderstand me the right way. It’s not the Sunday that’s important. Originally the day of rest spoken of in the Old Testament was Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath. The Christians made it Sunday because Jesus rose from the grave on a Sunday.

The important thing is to rest one day a week. My mother usually say, when I’m tired and complaining after a hard week going to school and struggeling with other things, “When Our Lord needed a day off after creating the world, then you must be able to rest one day too.”
So I do. I rest. Usually, on other days, I wake up at six of clock, spend time with God and after that organize the day, before going to breakfast. Today, is Sunday, I’m not organizing. Today’s the day of “nothing’s happening”. Oh, what a blessed, blessed day =)

It’s not like the Sunday (or whatever day you may choose to be your day of rest) should be a boring day, like in the old times. You weren’t allowed to do anything but to sit completely still, except from going to church, or maybe read a little in The Bible. Going far back in time, you even had to eat cold food, because you weren’t allowed to work, and cooking counted as work.

Going back to the time that Jesus lived on earth, in the Jewish community, there was made hundreds of rules to help that the Sabbath was being held. When Jesu disiples was plucking ears of corn on the Sabbath, the Pharisees ment they were breaking the rules that God had set. But in reality they were only breaking the rules that men had set to keep Gods rules from being broken, which is a totally different thing. Listen to Jesus answer in the text.

“And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful? And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him? How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him? And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.”
Marcus 2:23-28
The Sabbath was made for man, not the other way. It’s here to help us, not to punish us. I know people that sometimes is given the blessing (would I say, they may not agree) of a holiday. Then they’ll be sitting there, for as many days as the holiday may last, “”grumbling”” and murmuring complain of the fact that they don’t have anything to do. That they can’t do anything, because they’re having a day off. If you’re among these, don’t bore yourself. Take your day off to rest, but remember that resting could be anything. Resting can be spending time with God, doing something fun you usually never have the time to do. Resting can be travelling, go on a picnic, singing, rejoyce, spending time with your spouse or children, doing others a serving, just sitting there looking lazy, or sleeping (all day if you want to).

I can tell what resting day is to me:
*Spending time with God
*Going to church
*Sewing, which I seldom have the time to do
*Blogging, as now
*Spending time with friends and family
*Planning presents for Christmas
*Baking a cake, which I love to do
*Knitting, writing letters
*Drinking tea
*Being lazy =)

On Sundays, I never:
*Do homework or practice to tests at school, no matter if the test is tomorrow and I haven’t read the chapter yet, or I if I have heaps of undone homework being checked tomorrow...
*Clean the house, my room, or whatever is to be done
*Do the laundry.
(nothing wrong with any of them, it just feels like work, and I’m resting..)

I promise. It’s lovely to be taking the Sunday (or whatever day you may choose) off.
You won’t be the same person again!

Today, I’ve just finished my morning tea, and my cinnamon buns (couldn’t find a proper word for “kanelboller”, so I made one) which was for breakfast. I’m still in my pyjamas. I’m knitting. And I will be doing it for as long as I feel like. It’s Sunday. Not just a “”helligdag”””, but a Holy day =)

“Dette er dagen som Herren har gjort; La oss fryde oss og glede oss på den!”
Salme 118:24

”This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.”
Psalm 118:24

Have a lovely Sunday, I pray that it will be as blessed a day as mine have been till now.
The Lord bless you all!
Lovingly,
åslaug

2 kommentarer:

Ingvild sa...

Hola, mi Hermana!
I really liked this post, you're right about how resting one day a week would be good for everybody. It's hard to do, though, but I know you are more busy than me, and you manage to do it.
Flinke deg.

Take care <3

Camilla sa...

Åh! Åslaug!! Du er så god. Det er så godt å lese det du skriver på bloggen din! Jeg er så utrolig enig! Det er så viktig med en fridag. En dag for å prioritere tid med Gud og tid til å prioritere å ikke gjøre noe. En "ufornuftig" dag som egentlig er ganske fornuftig. Jeg har også tenkt å begynne med dette. Ikke gjøre ting jeg blir sliten av å gjøre på søndager. Verden stopper ikke opp og løper heller ikke fra meg om jeg tar en hviledag! Får ikke helt frem de tankene jeg sitter igjen med etter å ha lest innlegget ditt. Men håper du skjønner litt hva jeg prøver å få fram. Og hvis ikke er det ikke så farlig det heller:p